Jazz All Around

I am at my favorite coffee shop so far in Greensboro.  There are many others but this one is close.  Tonight it is full of college students.  I am guessing that is because there is a live jazz band here and also because UNC Greensboro is on its doorstep.  They are really into it! Clapping after solos, laughing and cheering at the jazz language being exchanged between the players.  It reminds me of my college days when I was a jazz major.  I was a jazz drummer.  The drummer tonight has a quint-essential four piece Gretsch jazz kit with about a 16" bass drum.  The trumpeter is wailing, the guitarist slides up and down the neck with easing grace and the bass player bops along.  Other players wait in the back ranks to play.  There is a nice energy here.

This is the second time tonight I have heard live jazz.  The first was at the once a year non-profit consortium at the downtown museum.  Some of my Americorps friends were there as well as my Peacehaven friends who invited me.

Today I broke my vegan diet.  One of the Elon students who has been working with the Peacehaven folks came by and made cookies.  She made them with almond flour and coconut sugar.  She used one egg.  There was also vanilla, cinnamon, dark chocolate and olive oil.  Well, the egg was the one that did it.  Later that night at the consortium I had like four mini cupcakes.  I indulge.

I am enjoying my Americorps experience.

I have also enjoyed my phone dying too actually.  It has been nice being not so attached to my phone.  I have not been able to make money by driving for Lyft but that is besides the point!  I am asking around for other employment.  In the meantime I should probably get my phone fixed.

The first set of jazz is over.  Now there are three new jazz players up on the stage.  Exciting!  There is a whole slew of horn players up on a deck as well!

This inspires me to start listening to more jazz!

if i stop and listen
and let the worry go away
the worry of not doing this or that
making money
i am here now
and rediscovering myself
now the jazz singer goes
she sings
blues skies
oh willie nelson
did he write that
i think he did
now she scats
oh my god
the woman playing the bass now is short.  the bass stands erect and six inches taller then she
rarely do you find a woman bass player and one so short
i have noticed almost all bass players are tall
hmmm
she sounds good!
maybe i am out of the loop

Thank you for reading.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Forest Hums

Hop One Foot

Tree Snap