Earth Time Continuum

In this wondrous universe living on planet Earth the sun rises and sun sets.  On Earth, we feel, we learn and live with this pattern as if everyday were a new day and we could start from scratch.  You can start from scratch.  The only obstacle is you. 

It's nice to see the sun filtering through the window blind in the morning after a nice drive delivering people to their destinations.  My dogs have barked and the cat enjoys a treat.  I am tired for getting up so early but when I find myself getting tired I can tap into the energy of the Sun and the Universe and enliven myself.

Yesterday, I went to Backpack Beginnings and had a nice time with the Core Members.  The Core Members are a group of folks I work with at Peacehaven Community Farm.  At Backpack Beginnings my AmeriCorps friend Emily helps lead this non-profit.

We spent the morning sorting canned food and snacks on a table with a series of dates.  We were to categorize each food item by its expiration date.  It took a minute to get the hang of it but we did and time flew by. 

I know Emily is doing a greater portion of organizing the volunteers because a key person has just left on maternity leave.  Go check it out!  It is easy to sign up to volunteer on their website.

In this wondrous universe I find myself driving for Lyft.  It is good because I can plug in and drive whenever I feel the need to and then I can plug out.  I like to listen to the news.  There is a lot of interesting things happening in the world.  The impeachment trial, the Corona virus, the news of Kobe Bryant. 

I like basketball.  I play it with the Core Members and we have a lot of fun! 

When someone dies that affects you it is sobering.  You can see the world in a different way.  Tomorrow I may not be here.  It is so transitory.  Anything can happen. 

From my metaphysical studies I have learned that we chose this life and we chose when we leave.  You may have several "exit points".  If you take this as true it is interesting to note how Kobe Bryant left this world: by dying with his daughter in a helicopter crash.  I wonder why he would choose that exit point.  It certainly brought a lot of attention to him and basketball and helicopters and his daughter and him being a father and his alleged commitment of rape in 2003, which is part of his life story.  In the end he seemed to have turned things around.  He started so young as a professional basketball player.  I think it is true that his dad was also a professional basketball player. 

It is funny that one can make millions of dollars by tossing a ball through a hoop.  That is really pretty awesome.  Granted one must be a master ball tosser and work really hard at it.  Maybe you are naturally gifted like Kobe Bryant was.  I would think he would need to be naturally gifted to be so awesome at the sport. 

To be naturally gifted comes from lifetimes of experience.  It comes from true dedication.  It comes from a desire to want that and only that.  It is an obsession. 

We do obsess. 

I am cognizant of those around me and the people I work with and everyone I interact with.  For instance, a woman I was working with at Backpack Beginnings was trying to show me her way of doing things and I initially resisted because she wasn't answering my questions, she wasn't listening.  She started to go into a pitch about how things are done around here and naturally I resisted.  I just wanted her to answer my question.  Eventually I came around and saw the value in what she was doing and saying and followed suit. 

It's that initial resistance that gets us.  We get caught up in one thing and maybe forget another; we are more focused on the task then forming a relationship.  In that moment I just wanted something from her- an answer to my question.  I didn't want to know her name or her story or anything else.  I did want to engage her though.  It is things like this that bring us out of ourselves.

One of the Core Members loved ones died recently.  She called him her boyfriend.  She has several boyfriends and she is quite proud of that.  She has cried quite a bit and expressed her friendship with him by showing us pictures of him. 

It is here that I pause and reflect.  It took my all this writing to get to this moment.  Someone I know directly who has just lost someone.  Help me best respond to this situation.  That feels to good to ask for help. 

When my grandfather died my grandmother never asked anyone of us to join in any kind of commemoration of his life.  She cried a lot and isolated herself and eventually showed me the vase that his remains are encased in.  "That's Papa," she said. 

Here is another pausing moment. 

I found myself drawing tears after hearing of Kobe's death.  I am not even a huge fan.  I find myself tearing up now.  I hardly even watch basketball.  I know Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, the short guy on the Atlanta team way back when who could dunk like a boss, I think his name was.... Spud Webb.

It is nice to come back to that sun and the filtering of sunlight through the window blind.  I am thankful for my landlord coming and zapping the bugs on my floor that needs to be done about once a month less they take over.

I want to prevent bugs from being in my apartment.  I guess poison is the answer.  I do respect life yet I live in a world that is shared and sometimes just follow suit.  I wonder if my landlord spays my neighbors apartment that lives in the same house as me.  That might be a way to not spray as much, spray the whole house.  There are lots of ways to prevent pests.  I never did ask the insects to not enter this place.  I will do that.  I will have the clear intention to have a bug free apartment.  I will share this world with you insects just let me have this one space bug free please.  Thank you.   

Some think that we are just bugs on this planet or that we are simple nothings with no meaning.  Here is another pausing moment. 

What do you think?  When I feel and see the futility of things, the impermanence, and how quickly things might change I know that, I feel that our lifetime here is like a blink of an eye but it is an eye and we are granted a blink.  My life is an eye into the world here on Earth.  I get to see it and feel it and taste and touch it.  I get to expand my inner eye and learn new things about energy and plants and trees and walking in nature.  I get to experience getting into a fuck off match with my neighbor about dog poop.  How exciting.

But the sun rises and the sun sets and we get to reset.  That's even better.

How do you reset? 

In this wondrous universe we can listen to that inner calling and that intuition pointing us in a direction of ease and grace and love or we can ignore and learn something in a way that might be disruptive to our being.  They key is to figuring that out.  How can be in the world in a peaceful and loving way? 

One shot at time, one bag of waste at a time, one smile, one gesture, one taking it in from a co-worker as to what they are saying, one moment of expression of speaking your truth and politeness be damned.  We are here for a blink of an eye and your double blinking and paying attention and speaking your mind may just change the fabric of the earth time continuum.

I love you all.  I love you neighbor.  I love you Core Member.  I love you Universe.  I thank you.  I love me. 

p.s.  If you know the difference of when to use a colon and a dash and a comma please let me know.  I ten to use the interchangeably.  Thanks!!

Image result for sun

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Forest Hums

Hop One Foot

Tree Snap