The Forest Hums

I'm sitting in a North Carolina' McDonald's, close to Little Switzerland.  I've never been to Little Switzerland but it sounds interesting.  

I was up on Roan Mountain last night.  I had a fire which helped to cook my mac and cheese and keep me warm.  It was a beast of a fire in that I got warm just keeping it going.  But once it was well underway it turned into a nice, slow-burning bed of coals.

Yes, it was a cold night.  Fortunately I had my goose-down leaking bag from my 2003 AT thru-hike.  I do not think it is as warm as it used to be but with a double upper layer on and a single lower layer I stayed pretty warm.  My pillow which was a bag filled with rain pants and a quick drying towel was inadequate; so was my sleeping pad- a eighth of an inch pad that is only meant to go under a blow-up pad to keep from popping (My blow up popped a long time ago.)  I tossed and turned but finally fell into a long sleep. 

The morning sun coming through my tarp tent woke me up.  I ate my muffin, packed up and said a-dios.  

So here I am in Mickey D's still waiting for my food.  I considered stopping and pulling out my little backpacking stove and finishing my mac and cheese but this seemed faster.  Well, so far it has allowed me to write this blog!

I love getting out into the woods.  Even the night is exciting with the stars and coolness, fire and sounds in the night.  

My pack was pretty well filled and I didn't go too far.  Just up the mountain till I found a nice spot to camp.  I spent some time drawing the view.  I will have to get a pic for you.

The mountain was very busy so I went the way I thought wouldn't be so busy- the way away from all the grassy mountain top balds.  I hung with the old pines and moss and occasional flutter bys and chirpers.

I would recommend it- getting in the out; the cool mountain air is so refreshing.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday.  

The tiny tinyies in the moss spring up
Lime-green tinged fungus rock
The forest hums in the stillness

In this wondrous universe, so much beauty, stillness and joy abounds.


Comments

  1. We were in Floyd and it was busy. I was surprised, and happy to see so many people out and about. Glad you're getting your nature on!!! Nice post!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hop One Foot

Tree Snap