Bald Soaring Eagle

Greetings.  

Recently the great bald eagle has entered my domain.  I am grateful to be in his part-domain but currently I cannot experience its complete-domain in the air.  

As it soared over me... wait, at first, it was but a bulk hulk in the tree and I thought its greatness was of another flavor- a vulture.  But the vultures are hiding or have flown south to warmer waters.  This great hulk took off at some point and then flew right over me with its white head.  This was my first time.  A few days later I saw it again in the same area.  Then I saw another in a different area, flying over my head with its bald head.  

How majestic.

Here in Kansas nature is blessed with such creatures.  It is the land of the raptor- so many raptors- because of all the vast flying space and all the great amount of land domain creatures like rabbits.  So many rabbits.   

It has been Kansas where I got my first pair of real binoculars.  Unfortunately, I did not have my binocs with me at the time of seeing the great bald eagle so, at first, I was really questioning whether or not it was even a great bald eagle.  My heart tells me and my senses, such as eyes, tell me that, indeed, our national symbol flew above and graced my earthly not-so-balding head.  

My writing is influenced by a new book for me- The Council of Animals by Nick McDonell.  I am really enjoying it as it is told from the perspective of animals- animals speak in this book.  It reminds me of Watership Down; the rabbits speak in this book, and others like the great travelling bird from the sea, I believe. 

All of the browns and yellows and reds and the sunrises and sunsets are wondrous.  It takes some time, maybe, to see their beauty, like that of the desert.  Have you ever seen a desert star-filled night, clear as night could be?  

I speak in my voice, this voice in home, a comfy home with dog and cat, warmed by the central heating unit, with the cold, mostly, outside.  A basement, half subterranean place, where the chill of the underground earth is present.  But it is a steady chill; unwavering.  

Like the steady unwavering flight of the great bald eagle with its mighty swing of its wings.  I find myself to be more and more unwavering in my calm and steady being.  Because I find it daily in everything, mostly.  When I forget it I remind myself, if I remember, that it is always there.  Sometimes I do forget but, yes, I remember because, well, we do not like to feel that way, the way of frustration.

I once thought that if I were to come back in the form of a animal I would come as a sea turtle and roam the seven seas, swimming merry in a sea without all the boat traffic.  Or a sea that was mindful of such sea beings.  Perhaps, we are getting better.  

We live on sentient earth and the turtle is part of the sentience in a different manner.  

I considered a bird as well, a hawk.  I could roam the airways and just float.  Maybe the great condor and just float for hours on the air currents and eddies.  

An air eddy.  

I had just been thinking and wanting to share about the eagle.  It is a marvelous thing to encounter a first-time encounter.  I hope to have more first times in my future, like the mighty whale rising from the depths or the great Sequoias and Redwoods.    

Wishing you a fond day and evening and a more fond sleep.  Here from LFK, burning the midnight oil.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Forest Hums

Hop One Foot

Tree Snap